Monday, August 11, 2014

33

Today is my birthday.  Something that I've come to realize is that I may be getting older, but I absolutely don't feel like it.  I still feel like I'm 18 years old and falling in love with a boy who would be my husband a short 2.5 years later... that's been 15 years ago now.  Sometimes I still feel like I'm too young and careless and impatient to have kids... and I've got two crazy little boys who call me mom, and I've had that title for over 4 years now.  
What 33 looks like.  ((Photo courtesy of Tanner))


I woke up a little sad today.  I'm normally all about celebrating birthdays, whether they are mine or someone else's.  Everyday that we get on this planet is such a blessing.  I was trying to be positive about being alone with the boys on my birthday, and once I got off base it got a lot easier. I just miss Brandon making the plans, and all I have to do is show up!
To start the day, the boys and I did our usual morning routine stuff.  We finally got ourselves ready and out the door by 10am.  We went to Lake Audubon near Garrison, ND for the day.  We picnicked then the boys played in the water while I read.

I'm in love with all of the fields of sunflowers!

We're a bunch of toughies!
The boys didn't want to leave this little dirt pile even though I promised that they would have so much more fun down by the water.  So I let them play until they got hot and tired of what they were doing.






Walking to the lake.

As we were walking down this path to the lake frogs started jumping from every direction.  They boys were going crazy trying to catch one.  They never did get any and I wasn't much help.





The boys loved playing in the lake so much. Tanner made a comment about how it was so much better than the pool or the splash pad.





The perfect way to spend ANY day!







After getting back to Minot we went out to dinner at Mi Mexico and then treated ourselves to some Dairy Queen.  It was such a great day!

In honor of my 33rd birthday, here are 33 things I love right now;

1.  Deployment is almost over.
2.  The women in my life.
3.  Red wine.
4.  Aviator sunglasses.
5.  Gardening with the boys.

6.  Canning zucchini salsa and pickled beets.
7.  Homemade chocolates.
8.  Ipsy It's excellent for trying new makeup and beauty products.
9.  Waking up with Dillan cuddled up next to me every morning. I'm ready for it to end, but enjoying it in this moment.
10.  My husband.  He is the one who I feel the smartest, most beautiful and most competent with.  He is the one I can be my most authentic-self with, and know I will always be accepted.
11.  Tanner helping his brother learn how to ride his trike and trying to teach him how to pee and poop in the toilet!
12.  Walks, pulling a wagon.
13.  Long, uninterrupted treadmill runs.
14.  Latte's from The Daily Buzz and the baristas that work there.

15.  Coffee made in my coffee press.
16.  The outdoors.
17.  My growing relationship with God.
18.  The Pursuit church and the community there.
19.  Being honest about how I feel and what I want.  All the time.
20.  Dreaming about where I want to live, do and be when Brandon retires from the Air Force.
21.  Reading a wide variety of books.
22.  The North Dakota summer.
23.  The boys' bedtime routine.  7pm-PJ's, snacks, cartoons. 7:30pm-brush teeth, read stories with Brandon on FaceTime, Prayers. Kisses and tucked in... Music on, lights out... ASLEEP!
24.  Setting and reaching health and fitness goals. I've lost 22 pounds in 5 months.  Gone down a jean size and am starting to see some muscles!
25.  Thrifting for clothes.  It's an addiction.
26.  FaceTime calls with Brandon.
27.  The group of friends and family who have supported me during these months of deployment.
28.  Bountiful Baskets.
29.  My hair in braids.
30.  The boys doing chores around the house.
31.  My indoor plants.

32.  Story time at Main Street Books in downtown Minot.
33.  LOVE. I'm in love with love.  I love being in love. I love being loved.  I love loving my friends and family.  I love to see other people's love.  LOVE. To me love is...
  • Showing you care with all the unnecessary I love you's.
  • Little notes hidden around the house, sent through the mail and messaged through Facebook.
  • Listening, making time, and being there; not just physically, but emotionally as well.
  • Generously giving and expecting nothing in return.
  • Believing that there is undeniable, unbreakable connection and attachment. 
  • Forgiving easily, and letting go of transgressions.  
  • A simple smile.
  • Appreciating another's goodness.
  • Acceptance.
  • A choice and an action.


I do this every year, you can read previous years here; 32  31  30 .

1 Comments:

At October 7, 2014 at 11:27 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

That was truly beautiful! Thank you for sharing with the world.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home