Wednesday, February 23, 2011

ODE TO MY TREADMILL

~Rewind, Review, Replay~

You stay in the bedroom, alone in the dark, until I need you.  Once plugged in you spring to life ready to give me whatever it is I request of you.  Whether a leisurely walk or a heart-pumping sprint is in store, you are there for me, providing the means to get my daily dose of cardio in.

I sometimes wish I could watch TV while spending time with you, but staring at a magazine or out the window while listening to Pandora on my iPhone works just as well.

I'm thankful that my ever-loving husband ordered a belt to fix you. The excuse, "I can't workout because my treadmill is broken" was growing very tired.  I will never use you to hang clothes from, or allow you to collect thick layers of dust.  I can't promise that my son will not one day use you as a jungle gym, but please know that you are loved.

Treadmill, you are my friend. My heart, brain and over-all health thank you for what you are. You rock!

On to the week~

~We got a bit of snow Sunday and on into Monday. Most of you think of Alaska as this big ol' frozen snow globe. You are partially right, except for Fairbanks is usually too cold to get snow dumped on us. Sub-zero temps are the norm for us. Our local newspaper, The News-Miner, stated this;

More than a foot and a half of snow fell Sunday and Monday, filling roads, driveways, sidewalks and parking lots with more snow than has been seen from one storm in more than 25 years.

Wind gusts of 15 to 30 mph caused blowing and drifting snow that reduced visibility to zero at times, making driving — or even walking — a serious challenge.
Read more: Fairbanks Daily News-Miner - Sixth largest two day snowfall in Fairbanks history dumps 18 5 inches

It was/is beautiful.  I'm so thankful that I am a Stay At Home Momma, though, and don't have to  brave the roads each day!



Maggie and Tanner watching and playing while I take pictures of the piles of snow.

~We went to the transfer sight because we had a lot of garbage in the back of the truck that really didn't need any more snow piled on top of it.  On our way back home there was a 4-runner stuck on the side of the road, so Brandon pulled him out. While we were pulling 4-runner guy out another guy in a pickup got stuck in the snow behind us, so we pulled him out next.  Further down the road car #3 was stuck so we pulled it out as well! 

~I really wanted a fun picture with Tanner in all the fresh snow.  We got a few fun pictures, though Tanner didn't have such a great time.  By the time I got him into the house he was screaming.  Poor baby!






~I'm not one for using cookbooks much.  I like to look a recipe, get some ideas and then turn to the kitchen and make that recipe my own.  My sisters were both raving about The NEW! Abs Diet Cookbook. I went out and bought it since I already had The Abs Diet for Women book which has lots of great recipes as well.  I've cooked quite a few meals out of the books now and follow the recipes to a T.  The concoctions have all turned out tasty!
GOD-DIDN'T-MAKE-LITTLE-GREEN-APPLES HOME FRIES
(Potatoes, Turkey Ham, Granny Smith Apple LOTS OF SEASONING!)

~We had a great play date over at my friend Susan's house.  She has two little guys, Sean and Spencer.  Our friend Verna was there with her two little guys Simon and Sammy.  Tanner and Spencer are only about three weeks apart. They don't quite play together yet, but sharing some Kix was a pleasant enough experience!
S + S + S + S+ T = A passel of rowdy boys

~Tanner and I try to get some skype time in with my mom and niece Ella every Wednesday.  Wednesday's are the days that my mom makes the 60 mile trip from Superior to Missoula with my dad then another 15 miles or so to Lolo where my sister and her husband live, to watch her sweet grand-daughter. My dad makes the trip from Superior to Missoula and back 5 days a week for work, so it works out perfectly that my mom can hitch a ride to go play with Ella!  
Tanner and Ella will say "HI! HI! HI! HI!" to one another and show each other toys and food.  Then they get bored and wander off.
~I took Tanner to the play area at the Community Center on Eielson Air Force base for the first time.  We had the place to ourselves for quite awhile then school got out and lots of kids came to burn some energy. Tanner loves watching other kids playing and enjoys going and trying to interact a bit.  It's lots of fun to watch him socializing, though needs to be reminded a lot that "We don't pull, push, bite, scratch our friends".

~Tanner has been screaming for two weeks straight.  OK, not straight, but it sure feels like it.  Brandon and I get so stressed out not knowing what is up with our little screech owl!  

~It's so nice when he puts himself in a quiet corner with the dogs.  Most of the time the dogs will get up and move to a different quiet corner. Tanner follows, obviously the dogs' subtle hints are lost on him.

3 Comments:

At February 23, 2011 at 9:37 AM , Blogger Auntie M said...

WOW! And I thought we had winter!! You really got a lot. It is so pretty even tho it brings lots of trials in ice and cold.

Always enjoy your posts and blog! ;-) Tanner is so cute and sure growing.

The pic of him and the dogs is so cute!!

Love Auntie Mary

 
At February 23, 2011 at 10:05 AM , Blogger Florence said...

Love the blog today, your "Ode to Treadmill" Rocks! And it looks as if there will be no BBQ's for awhile!

Pics are cute as always, love the one with Tannie and his buds at the table, and the one with him and the dogs...

 
At February 23, 2011 at 10:33 AM , Blogger SJT said...

LOL! LOVE the snow shot series!!! Glad you are back on your treadmill!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home